Monday, May 30, 2016

Learn English with ASVAB Word Preparation PART 2

  • Livelihood 生计、生活         
  • Legacy 遗产= Bequest
    • The Wayne legacy is more than bricks砖瓦 and mortar水泥.
    • Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name.
    • It’s the legacy of my people.
  • Lethargic 无精打采的
    • Such lethargic creatures.
    • It makes people lazy and lethargic.
    • Paris on Sunday is almost as lethargic as London.
  • Lily pad 睡莲:  I was floating on a lily pad.
  • Vowel 元音:   You speak only in vowel.
  • Vigilant 警觉地 = Observant Of course, Sylvia brought this on herself by her lack of vigilance.
  • Vigilance警惕n.   :    We must remember that vigilance is the price of safety,
  • Vehement 激烈的、热情的
    • But many scientist vehemently disagree.
    • Vehement is solid.
    • Perhaps you chastised her too vehemently.
  • Virtuous 善良的、有道德的
  • Vital 生气勃勃的         Vitalize 激发、给予生命:    Vital signs are normal.
  • Vibrant震动的、充满生命的、响亮的 =  Vivid 生动的、清晰地
  • Vexe 烦恼、迷惑
    • It vexes me.
    • Vex is a favorite of dark elders.
    • What vexes all men?
    • I don’t entertain hypothetical. 假设, the world as its vexing enough.
  • Latrine 公用厕所: I used the office’s latrine.
  • Linger 逗留、徘徊
    • Why do you linger in the shadows.
    • What kind of army would linger in such a place?
  • Limp 跛行、无生气的、无力地 = Hobble
    • He goes as limp as a bonded fish.
    • Gotham has limped on ever since.
    • He had a limp.
  • Liberate 解放:    This is the instrument of your liberation.
  • Latent 潜在的、指纹
    • Paul, you did call him a latent homosexual. 同性恋者
    • You probably thought families that was some form f latent hostility.
    • The latent desires of the prefect.
  • Abatement废除        Accountable 负有责任的、可解释的 = Responsible
  • Amateur 业余爱好者= Novice: not professional
    • An accomplished amateur magician
    • I’d hate to think I had amateur in my house.
  • Abridge 减少 = Shorten
    • The abridged version
    • Abridge the freedom of speech
  • Avocation 爱好= Hobby
    • Ornithology鸟类 happens by my avocation.
    • This has become my avocation.
    • His avocation was gaming.
  • Ambush 伏击 = Assault
    • They are waiting to ambush the team coming up the elevator.
    • Why the hell were we ambushed?
    • Ambush the next company?
  • Abrogate 废除= Abolish = Suppress = Terminate = Abatement
    • The constitution宪法 is abrogated.
    • Abolish slavery
  • Archaic 古代的、陈旧的 = Antiquated = Old, old-fashioned, outdated
  • Antique: a collectible object what has a high value because of its considerable age.
  • Antiquity : the ancient past 古代、古迹、古代
  • Antibody 抗体     Apparel 一股、外观
  • Apprehension 不安、拘捕
    • Our intention was to approach you after your apprehension in New York.
    • The state is set, the night moist with apprehension.
    • But instead of apprehension and interrogation, they were slaughtered.
  • Astrophysics 天体物理学    Amiss出错的、不恰当的 = Wrong         
  • Disrupt 混乱、破坏
    • Batman has a talent for disruption.
    • If it leaves with him on it, it will disrupt production.
    • I don’t like to see the patients disrupting their rooms.
    • Cause if you disrupt my plans, I will have no further use for you.
    • Sorry about the disruption.
  • Apex剪短、顶峰 = Top
    • Clip 修剪the apex.
    • Aim for the apex.
    • The moon rises to its apex.
  • Adrift 漂泊的、随波逐流的
    • The human race is going to be adrift.
    • But one of the ships did pick up a man adrift at sea.
    • My ship was found adrift.
  • Attentive 细心的、殷勤的
    • This was thanks in part to attentive middle managers.
  • Aggression 侵略
    • You lay on your back and let her take out that aggression on you.
    • An undeclared act of aggression.
  • Atheist无神论   Atheism无神论
  • Vocation= Occupation
  • Antagonizecause someone to become hostile敌对
    • Antagonist: a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone.
    • Do you just do it to antagonize people?
    • Everybody stop antagonizing my guests.
    • Keep antagonize me, watch what happens.
  • Antonym: opposite meaning          Arcane神秘= Mysterious
  • Amicable = Friendliness
    • Their divorce was amicable.
  •  Ameliorate = Mend = make something better
    • Ameliorate disease/policy /violence
  • Frown 皱眉头
    • Look at this frown on your face.
    • He thinks I smile too much. He’d rather you frowned?
  • Foreman 工头、领班
  • Fragility 脆弱性 = Delicacy= Brittle
    • My hair is brittle and my skin is dry.
    • Don’t hurt me, I am brittle.
    • It’s small and brittle.         
    • The fragility of crystal is not a weakness but a fineness. 精致的
    • But this incident with John made me realize the fragility of all this.
  • Foreclose 排除、关闭、取消:   The bank closed a couple days ago.
  • Firmness 坚固的、坚定地 = Sturdiness 坚固
    • Let me show you the firmness of my beliefs.
    • I want a firm commitment.
    • I want a firm date, and I want it early.
  • Befriend =  act as a friend to sb by offering help or support. = Tend = Facilitate= Help照顾、帮助
    • By facilitating the process of transition,
    • Was this one of the facilitators?
    • Colonel, I am sorry, but we cannot facilitate.
  • Feint 佯攻、声东击西
    • I shall make a feint to the northeast…
    • I pretended to be deceived by the feint.
  • Falseness 虚伪、不忠实
    • False is the men’s eyes.
    • There’s falseness in his voice!
    • We had that false alarm.
  • Fondle 爱抚、抚弄 = Handle
    • Fondle first, talk later.
    • It was wrong of me to fondle Mrs. Miller’s breast.
    • I let you fondle my chest, and it was a glorious moment for me.
  • Furious 狂怒的、激烈的
    • With great vengeance报复 and furious anger.
    • Look how mad they are! Furious
    • It makes furious to this day!
  • Fiscal 财务的
    • Now that I am fiscally secure.
    • This is a direct result of significant fiscal mismanagement.
    • In the last fiscal year…
  • Impose 强加、利用: sentence imposed by a judge in good standing in this state.
  • Influx 流入、汇入: 
    • A sudden influx of money.
    • The recent influx of immigrants.
  • Inexorable 无情的、铁面无私的
    • Inexorable death
    • And the elegant means inexorable to her end.
    • An inexorable logic
  • Invincible 无敌的、不可战胜的
    • Together, you are invincible
    • Spiderman is all but invincible
    • The glory of invincibility
  • Impart 传授、告知、给予: Allow me to impart a word to the wise
  • Intermittent 间歇性的      Intermit 中断
    • It was only intermittently effective
    • Intermittent heavy rain has been forecast. 预测
    • Sir, we have a small intermittent contact.
  • Baritone 男中音、上低音乐器
    • The Baritone was a guy named Kip Diskin.
    • Sixteen baritone bass singers.
    • And you’re the only baritone in the elf choir. 合唱团
  • Benison = A blessing; Anatomy: Curse
  • Beneficent = Mercy = Amicable = Kind: generous or doing good 行善的、慈爱的
  • Boast = Brag
    • I am just bragging about you.
    • Can’t I brag about my little sister?
    • I am not one to brag.
    • My, my, my, what boasting.
    • If the ship’s as fast as he’s boasting, we ought to do well.
    • Nothing to boast off.
    • No other creature can make such a boast.
    • He was ashamed of his boasting.
  • Bore = Burrow 挖洞 = Nestle = A hole or tunnel
    • I think its burrow is two blocks down.
    • The burrow to a depth of 100 meters.
  • Bogus = Fake 假冒的、伪造的
    • This thing is bogus.
    • His background information was bogus.
    • Write a bogus death certificate.
  • Bewilder迷惑 cause sb confused
    • You are not bewildered, you are afraid.
    • It’s tricky and bewildering.
    • She looks around, bewildered, seeming to want something.
  • Booklet 小册子: a blue booklet
  • Bolt down 狼吞虎咽     Bolt 螺旋钉、闪电、弓弩、筛选、拴住
    • Anything that’s not bolted down goes overboard.
    • He brings the bolt down.
    • Anything not bolted sown toss it out.
  • Bilateral 两侧的
  • Budding 发芽、开始发育 = Developing
  • Biography 传记、档案、个人简介: Is that the Teddy Roosevelt Biography?
  • Brass 黄铜: The legend of the brass teapot.
  • Buffoon = Clown 傻瓜、小丑 You buffoon! Don’t waste food like that.
  • Bullock = Ox
  • Bibliography 文献、节目
  • Burnish = Polish 擦亮、光泽
    • Burnished sunset.
    • You will be burnished
    • To see his reputation burnished.
  • Brusque 唐突的= Concise 简约的
    • I apologize for being brusque.
    • Oh, it was rather brusque.

No comments:

Post a Comment